BREAKING – WHO’s European Regional Office Head Hans Kluge Enters Race for Director-General
Hans Henri Kluge, the WHO/Europe Regional Director, at a meeting of WHO’s European Regional Committee (member states) in December 2025.

Dr Hans Henri Kluge, WHO’s Regional Director for Europe, has become the third candidate to throw his hat into the ring in the race for the next WHO Director-General. He will be taking a leave of absence from his duties from Friday, 21 August 2026 following his nomination by home country Belgium. This is according to an internal email by Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to WHO staff, seen by Health Policy Watch.

Kluge is also the second Regional Director, after Dr Hanan Balkhy, to temporarily step down from office under new guidelines issued by Tedros earlier in July.

The guidelines require WHO Regional Directors to step back from the posts and go on special leave at half pay if they enter the leadership campaign – despite the fact that RD’s are elected by member states. This rule aims to level the playing field with other internal WHO candidates who were already required to take leave in previous races.

Kluge had not responded to an earlier enquiry from Health Policy Watch regarding his possible candidacy. Tedros, however, made it clear in his message today:

“Dear colleagues, I am writing to inform you that Dr Hans Kluge, Regional Director for Europe, will take leave from his WHO functions effective 21 August 2026, in connection with his candidature for the position of Director-General of the World Health Organization,” the DG said in the internal mail sent just before 6 p.m. Thursday evening.

European Director of Programme Management takes charge

To ensure continuity in the European Region, Dr Corinne Capuano will take over as Officer-in-Charge on an interim basis, the WHO Director General added.

“I am grateful to Dr Capuano for assuming these responsibilities and confident that, with the support of colleagues across the Region and the Organisation, WHO’s vital work will continue without interruption,” said Tedros in the internal communication.

Capuano has been Director of Programme Management in Europe since February 2025.

Kluge, a Belgian physician, has led WHO’s European Region since February 2020 – through the COVID-19 pandemic, a subsequent mpox outbreak, and the cascading fallout of Russia’s war in Ukraine on health systems both in Ukraine and beyond.

The current field of candidates so far

Kluge’s declaration means that three candidates are now in the race. The other two candidates are listed as contenders on the organisation’s website are: Dr Hanan Mohammed Al-Kuwari (nominated by Qatar) and Dr Hanan Balkhy (nominated by Saudi Arabia).  But the list is expected to grow further before the final deadline for official nominations, set for 24 September. Indonesia’Minister of Health Budi Gunadi Sadikin is considered likely to enter the race.

Other figures around which speculation has centered have included Sania Nishtar, currently CEO of Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance and Helge Braun, a German physician and politician associated with the Christian Democratic Party – led for many years by former Chancellor Angela Merkel. Former French Health Minister Agnès Buzyn  has also been named as a possible candidate.

Several other high-profile figures whose names previously had been mentioned as potential candidates have recently said they would not run for the DG’s office. Dr Jarbas Barbosa, Regional Director of the Pan American Health Organisation (PAHO), ruled out standing for the race, saying that he wanted to focus on leading the Americas region, which faces its own financial troubles since funding from the United States, PAHO’s biggest donor, has become uncertain.  The noted British scientist Dr Jeremy Farrar, also has said he had “no intention” of standing for the top post – even though on Monday his resignation as Assistant Director-General Health Promotion, Disease Prevention and Care was abruptly confirmed by WHO, effective September.

While WHO claimed that Farrar, age 64, is retiring, several other sources claimed he had resigned – signaling potential dissatisfaction or a reluctance to continue being associated with Tedros’ administration in its waning days. Farrar has not publicly commented on his next moves.

Following the formal submission of DG nominations, the official timetable sets out two key dates prior to the final decision: the first candidates’ forum will begin on 18 November 2026, followed by the Executive Board narrowing the field of candidates down to a maximum of three finalists during its 160th session from 25 January to 2 February 2027.

The election by the Member States is due in May 2027 during the 80th World Health Assembly. The successor will take office on 16 August 2027, immediately after Tedros’s term ends.

See related story:

https://healthpolicy-watch.news/want-to-become-who-director-general/

Image Credits: WHO/Christopher Black , WHO/Europe .

Combat the infodemic in health information and support health policy reporting from the global South. Our growing network of journalists in Africa, Asia, Geneva and New York connect the dots between regional realities and the big global debates, with evidence-based, open access news and analysis. To make a personal or organisational contribution click here.